History

The Lemko Village of Lipowiec existed from 1529 to 1947.  Lipowiec was 1/2 south of the town Jasliska and 1/4 mile north of the village of Lemklo Village Czeremcha. Most of the villagers of Lipowiec lived next to the stream Bielcza.

Today there are a few new and old homes in Lipowiec.

Although the original Lipowiec Lemkos have not returned to Lipowiec, they and their descendants can be found in Northwestern Poland, Ukraine, United States, Great Britan, Germany, Canada and Australia.

Relative to the church area of Lipowiec
Jasliska is 2.25 miles Northeast
Czeremcha is 1.5 miles South
Torkania Mountain (692 m) is 1 mile Northwest
Kamien Mountain ("Bieszczad" 859 m) is 2.25 Southeast
Beskid Pass (581 m) is 3 miles Southeast near the boarder
Dukla is 9.5 miles Northwest
Rymanow is 12 miles Northeast

1527

Bishop Andrzej Krzycki , granted through the privilege of Wallachia, the upper part of the village.

1535

Jan Dziaduski bishop of Przemysl, granted through the privilege of Wallachia, the lower part of the village and its soltys Kopcza Prokop called Krupejem.

Over a period of time, there was Lipowiec - Babej (Lipowiec Upper Part) and Lipowiec - Krupa (Lipowiec Lower Part).

The task of the settlers was the clearing of 8 fields of land and authorized to operate an inn, the mill and the right to hunt and fish. At the end of 20-year period wolnizny his duty was to represent the Bishop in the trips to Hungary.

1553

Over the years there has been "enlarged" Lipowiec, which ended the rural location. Bishop of Przemysl Jan Dziaduski gave Daliowa resident, to a certain Kochanowie, 3 fields of land between Lipovce and Jasliskami. The upper division Lipowiec (Babej) and the lower part of Lipowiec (Krupa) have long operated in the minds of locals.

1577

In Lipowiec there were 6 grubbed fields of land.

1596

Brest-Litovsk Union - All but two Ukrainian Orthodox bishops accepted, at the demand of the Polish Catholic king, the primacy of the pope in a substantial way, signaled the effective advent of Eastern rite churches.

1640

The pastor mentions Fedora, which Bishop Peter Gembicki confirms given at the end of the sixteenth century, by Bishop Dziaduskiego one hinds in Lipowiec and Czeremcha. In 1640, a church was built in Lipowiec, it was named St. Nicholas.

Lipowiec was very poor and modest, but as it turned out, the 1640 St. Nicholas church served the residents for nearly 300 years.  This church was demolished in the 1930s. Architectural peculiarity of this church was that it had covered around the cloisters.

1649

Owner John Mecinski Dukla, gathered from the subjects Tylawy, Zyndranowa and Barwinka spoiled Lipowiec destroying several houses and crops.

1774

The Uniate Church is renamed the Greek Catholic Church. By imperical decree the Greek Catholic Church is equilized in status with the Roman Catholic Church.

1782

From the existing 1640 years lipowieckiej parochii, in 1782 the village was annexed Czeremcha.

1785

Lipowiec residents included 320 Greek Catholics, 5 Roman Catholics and 5 Jews The land area occupied about 360 hectares.

1787

Natural crop failures in area

1831

Cholera epidemic in area

1846

Natural crop failures in area

1847

Typhus epidemic in area

1882

Natural crop failures in area

1828-1830

The Greek Catholic Church of Lipowiec becomes part of JASLYS'KYJ Deanery.

Deans of Jaslys'kjy:
Teodor Paslavs'kyj  [1828]-1829
Ivan Garbins'kyj  l829-[1833] adm.
Ivan Garbins'kyj   [1835]-1839+
Josyf Chyrnjans'kyj  [1839]-1840 adm.
Josyf Chyrnjans'kyj   1840-1855

Josyf Homyk  1857-1867 
Ivan Leshchyns'kyj   1867-[1870] adm.
Ivan Leshchyns'kyj  [1873]-1908+ 
Antin Beskyd  1908-[1918]

1840

Lipowiec residents included 752 Greek Catholics

1848 April 16

Abolition of serfdom

1849

The Hungarian uprising lasted Lipowiec marched by the Russian army, which hastened to the rescue of Austria. This march, fell into a long memory, and nearby residents Lipowiec and Czeremcha.

1859

Lipowiec residents included 720 Greek Catholics

1862

Angina epidemic in area

1879

Lipowiec residents included 528 Greek Catholics

1880

Lipowiec residents included 556 Greek Catholics
Local gospodarzyli on the surface of nearly 940 hectares, the lands occupied 340 hectares of the bishop and the church salary was 42 hectares.

1899

Lipowiec residents included 570 Greek Catholics

1907

Lipowiec 637 residents included 624 Greek Catholic and 13 Jews

286 were Male and 351 were Female
629 spoke Rutherian and 8 Polish as their main language
The were a total of 110 houses.
Animals included 123 horses, 353 cattle, 8 sheep
1144 Area in Hectors

1914-1918

World War I - Fighting in the Jasliska area 1914 and 1915.

1914 September 19 - Retreat of Austryjaków reaches Jaśliska.
1914 November 21 - Entry of the Russians in the nearby town Jaśliska.
1915 July 2nd-6th - The conquest of Galicia by the Germans (the Battle of Gorlice).

1924

The Greek Catholic Churches of Daliowa and Lipowiec become part of the newly formed Rymanivs'ky Deanery.

1926

Lipowiec residents included 700 Greek Catholics

1929

A wooden church was started in 1929 and still was not finished in 1936.  The old 1640 wooden church was still being used during this time.

1929

Almost the entire Greek Catholic congregation turnes to Orthodoxy.

1932

Orthodox Church built.

1934

Lipowiec was incorporated in to the Lemko Apostolic Administration.

1936

Lipowiec residents included 650 Orthodox, 15 Jews , 13 Roman Catholics and 7 Greek Catholics.

1939-1944

World War II

September 1st - German bombers appear in the skys announcing the war.
September 9th and 10th - The Slovak army arrives in the nearby town of Jaśliska.
End of September German Army arrives in Jaśliska.

1945-1947

Throughout the Carpathian Mountains Ethnic Cleansing occurs

 

 

1944

Young people male and females were taken from Lipowiec and surrounding villages and sent to labor camps in Germany., They wereforced to work on farms and were required to keep a log book and have it stamped to show they showed up for work by the Nazis. Many of these individuals never saw their relatives from Lipwoec again.

1945 July

1945 September

1946

The village of 600 in Lipowiec were forced to move to the Ukraine. Approximately 100 from the villlage hide in the forests and some stayed with friends in Jasliska until the Soviet relocation had departed the area.

October 1946 Infantry Divisions were ordered to compile lists of those who mangaed not to be relocated. Although they are were a few who had failed to be deported to the U.S.S.R. Misilo notes that, although it is not known whether these lists were meant to be used to relocate the Ukrainians to the U.S.S.R. again or to other parts of Poland, they were used, nonetheless, during Akcja "Wisla."

1947 March 28

Polish General Karol Swierczewski is assassinated.

1947

Akcja "Wisla" (OPERACJA "WISLA" - OPERATION code named "VISTULA").

Sources:

"Beskid Niski Przewodnik dla prawdziwego turysty", Authors: Wojciech Krukar & Paweł Luboński, ISBN:978-83-89188-63-2, Wydawca:Rewasz, 2007

"www.lemko.org" by Walter Maksimovich, The premier website for information on the "Lemkos", dealing with the pastoral farmers who until 1947 inhabited the Lower Beskid range of the Carpathian Mountains.

"www.beskid-niski.pl" by Bartłomiej Wadas, A fantastic site with loads of info on the Beskid Niski area.

www.britannica.com

www.jasliska.pl